Weekend Analogue Photography Workshop - multiple dates
Forthcoming workshop dates:
26th 27th January
Learn the whole process of analogue black & white photography photography in one weekend. From exposure and composition (we'll take you out to take photographs in the local area) to processing your film, printing up contact sheets and making enlargements.
This course will equip you with the skills required to use a darkroom without assistance.
Summary of activities
Using a 35mm SLR Camera and/ or, for those with prior knowledge of 35mm camera operation and exposure control, a medium format camera. Overview of analogue process using large format camera to make photo paper portraits
- How the camera works.
- Shutter/ shutter speeds and its associated effects.
- Aperture and its effect on depth of field.
- Setting correct exposure using the light meter in the camera.
- Combining Aperture and shutter speeds.
- Film ASA.
- Loading Film into the camera.
- Going out to take photographs in the local area.
Film processing (Developing photographs)
- Introduction to film processing equipment.
- Practising loading films onto spirals.
- Introduction to process room.
- Load films.
- Process films.
Darkroom Session (Printing photographs)
- Introduction to darkroom/ materials.
- Darkroom etiquette and health & Safety.
- Making a contact sheet of your negatives.
- Making enlargements from negatives (10” x 8”).
- Various printing techniques.
What you will learn
Workshop participants will gain:
- An awareness of how to use 35mm cameras confidently and competently.
- An understanding how to compose and expose analogue material
- An understanding of how to expose black & white films.
- An understanding of how to develop black & white films.
- An understanding of how to print black & white films
- The confidence to work independently in the darkroom in the future
About your Instructors:
Dan Burwood is a photographer and teacher based in Balsall Heath, Birmingham. He uses a wide range of approaches – documentary, portraiture, landscape – and techniques, to investigate and reflect on the contemporary world. As well as varied personal and commissioned work produced in the UK, he has produced bodies of work in Cuba and Syria and Brazil.
In 2012 Dan created Darkroom Birmingham as a cornerstone of traditional photographic practice for the photographic communities of the West Midlands and beyond. Shared ideas and practice, and the authentic engagement with individuals and communities that charactarises his own work, form the basis for working with Andrew to found Some Cities
Andrew: 07790 962 689 Dan: 07779159217
No experience of analogue photography is needed.
You may bring your own 35mm camera on the day or use one of ours, subject to availability.
All chemicals, film (one roll – 36exp) and paper are provided
This workshop is open to participants 16 and above
Maximum number of participants is 6, minimum 3.
Book your place
Concessions / Discounts
Discounts are available to the unwaged, students and OAP's - proof is required of your status at the first session. Please get in touch for the discount code.
Please note: this course takes place in an upstairs room accessed via a staircase
Terms & Conditions
In the event of Darkroom Birmingham having to cancel or postpone a course you are entitled to a full refund or a later slot on a course. If you cannot attend a workshop you have booked, a 50% refund is available. Absolutely no refunds can be made 14 days before the workshop.
comments powered by Disqus
26th 27th January
Time: 10am - 3pm Saturday and Sunday
Location: Old Print Works
506 Moseley Road
Duration 1 weekend